Saturday, February 9, 2013

No Welfare for People with Tattoos?

I frequently hear comments from people/posts who complain that a person who is apparently receiving government assistance of some form, has a cell phone, has a nice pair of tennis shoes, a nice purse, or an apparently new tattoo.  I've given a lot of thought to this.  Does receiving welfare mean that a person should not have any expression of individuality or dignity?  For many people who have almost nothing, their appearance may be their one and only vestige of self-respect.  Granted, a tattoo many not be the wisest investment (in the interest of full disclosure, I have one), but it is a relatively cheap method of some self expression (if you can't afford a car or house) and as Jimmy Buffet says, it is "a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling."  And a cell phone?  I recently purchased one at Wal-Mart for $24.95.  A cell phone is cheaper than a land line and if you don't have your own house, where would you even install a land line? How are you expected to ever secure a job if you don't have a phone number to list on the application?

The harshness of some attitudes bewilders me.  Because of my work, I have heard the stories of some people who receive government assistance in some form.  I suppose there are a few who receive this paltry subsidy who may not fully deserve it (I'm more alarmed by some of the defense contractors in the Washington, DC area where I live who are gouging the Federal government for services that would bring a tenth of the price in the private sector).  But most of these individuals receiving government subsidy are doing the best that they can.  They often come from extremely difficult backgrounds and don't have the safety net of  family or friends who have means to help them like I would if I fell on hard times.   Rather than resent them, I commend them for trying to look nice and exhibit some self-respect.  OK, OK!! Tattoos are not the best method of self expression!!  I get it.  But, if a person had a tattoo on every limb and three on the torso and each cost $100, that would not be enough to rent a one-room apartment in the Washington, DC area where I live.

The people who loudly complain that someone in the grocery line ahead of them used a welfare card to by chips are just hateful people and probably will never change their attitudes.  My hope is that the rest of us will not give audience to this kind of hateful intolerance.  I hope that such comments will increasingly be met with silence, whether it is on Facebook or in everyday conversation.


To subscribe to this Blog, type your email address in the box at the top of this page, hit 'submit' and follow the prompts. If you are viewing on a mobile device, click on the tab that says view web version and you will then see the box where you can enter your email address to subscribe.  Thanks for following.





No comments:

Post a Comment